Is Your Winter Storm Damage Covered by Insurance?
You’ll want to review your policy or contact your insurance agency to know for sure what is or isn’t covered. However, most standard homeowner’s insurance policies provide coverage for winter related storm damage that occurs as a result of wind, snow, ice, freezing rain and low temperatures.
However, most standard homeowner’s insurance policies do not provide coverage for flood damage. If your home suffers from snow melt or other winter related flooding, you may not have coverage unless you have a separate flood insurance policy in place.
If you have a summer home and leave your home unattended during the winter, you may have some additional coverage issues. Some policies may have exclusions for damage that occurred from not being winterized properly or being left unoccupied for a certain period of time.
While your insurance may provide some coverage for winter storm damage, the best option is to take steps to prevent damage from occurring.
- Clean your gutters and downspouts so that melting snow can flow freely away from your home
- Inspect and repair roof shingles and flashing to prevent water damage
- Trim tree branches on your property
- Apply weather stripping and caulking around doors and windows and inspect storm doors and windows for broken glass
- Drain water from pipes leading to exterior faucets and remove garden hoses
- Insulate pipes that are susceptible to freezing
- Have your heating system cleaned and inspected.
Give us a call if you suspect your Franklin County, MO home or business has been affected by winter storm damage. We can guide you through the process and make the stressful experience “Like it never even happened.”
Give us a call today 636-583-5200 we are always "Here to Help"!