Carbon Monoxide: A Silent Cold-Weather Killer
We care about your safety. Here is an explanation of what carbon monoxide is and how you can stay safe this winter.
What is carbon monoxide?
Carbon monoxide is a gas you cannot see, taste or smell. According to ready.gov, an average of 430 Americans die each year from unintentional carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning. Many furnaces, rangers, water heaters, use CO to as a power source.
Why does carbon monoxide poisoning occur?
Often times, it is the result of faulty, improperly used or vented consumer products like furnaces, ranges, water heaters, room heaters and engine-powered equipment, such as portable generators.
What can you do to stay safe?
There are precautions you can take to help protect yourself, your family, and your employees from deadly CO fumes.
- Reduce the chance of CO exposure in your workplace by performing regular maintenance on equipment and appliances that can produce CO.
- Install carbon monoxide detectors on every level of the home, including outside of all bedrooms.
- Consider having all fuel-burning heating equipment and chimneys serviced annually by a professional.
- Use portable generators only in well-ventilated areas away from doors, windows, vents, and any other openings to prevent fumes from entering the home.
For additional CO safety information, visit usfa.fema.gov or osha.gov.